Research & Education
S-MICRAS will become an integral part of surgical mainstream education, thereby raising standards on par with the western European standards.
The wealth of data gathered from S-MICRAS will translate to international presentations and publications, thereby impacting on translational research.
S-MICRAS programme will improve the outcomes of colorectal surgery nationally, thereby improving patient outcomes and also resources that are translated as a result of saving from occupied bed days, intensive care and complications.
- Immersion weeks would involve the following:
- Introduction to MDT
- Enhanced recovery and peri-operative care
- Demonstration and familiarization with operative techniques
- In reach Training would involve:
- Up to 20 cases under direct supervision in the base hospital
- Teaching and training of the team with anesthesiologists, radiologists and pathologists
- Training mapped with real time Global assessment Scores (GAS).
S-MICRAS will provide a streamlined, structured training programme, in association with EARCS and University of Belgrade. This will deliver a University diploma, recognized around the world.
- Pathway for training would include selection of centre and surgeons locally by the Serbian stake holders. Some of the modules planned would encompass:
- Module 1 - Introduction to surgical oncology
- Module 2 - Surgical anatomy for Colo-rectal cancers
- Module 3 – Minimally invasive surgical principles
- Module 4 – Human factors: Decision making, risk communication, patient safety and health outcomes
- The following tasks would need to be completed in consensus with all the stake holders:
- MCQ exams
- Video assessments
- 2 unedited videos for right and left colon performed by the trainees would be assessed blindly by the faculty using L-CAT forms
- Final certification and feedback
Infrastructure & resources required by each participating centers
- Operative tables compatible with Laparoscopy
- High definition Laparoscopic stack – with a master and slave
- Laparoscopic instruments – Bowel graspers Johan’s long and short tip/ Endo Babcock / Laparoscopic needle holders
- Energy sources (Hormonic scalpel / Ligature – 5 mm device)
- Staplers – Laparoscopic Linear cutter / Echelon or endo GIA
- Circular stapling devices / CDH 28 – 30
- Hem-o-lock clips - various sizes
- Would protectors
- Patient immobilizers – Bean bag / Lloyd Davies boots
- Other consumables